2010년 10월 2일 토요일

Salted Cucumber

The following is another one of the MR's favorite side dishes. It's also surprisingly easy to make as well.


IMG_8002
First grab some cucumbers. Don't ask me what kind these are, I just call them Korean cucumbers. =P Wash them thoroughly with some salt. I just put some salt in my palm and scrub the cucumbers.


IMG_8007
Pack the cucumbers tightly together in a container.


IMG_8008
Meanwhile, bring a pot of water (approximately 10 cups) to a boil and add a little less than a cup of sea salt. Boil until all the salt dissolves and then turn off the heat and let it cool down completely.


IMG_8013
After the salt water has cooled completely, pour it over the cucumbers and use something to press the cucumbers down into the water. I obviously had to improvise (last time I used a heavy bowl) and used the screen and some spoons.



You can actually make life a lot easier by using a pickle press. I finally bit the bullet and purchased one today.


IMG_8014
After you're done, just let the pickles sit for a few days and you will be ready to serve.


m198531392 m198531396
DAY TWO - This is how the pickles have changed color already in two days. It will probably be ready in another 4-5 days. I will update with more pictures during the process.


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


IMG_8017
I actually had some store bought salted cucumbers in my fridge so I decided to season it for this blog. First WASH all the pickles under cold water.


IMG_8019
Then slice all the cucumbers thinly like so...


IMG_8021
Then use a cheesecloth to SQUEEZE all the juices out of each and every pickle.


IMG_8024
Then season it with a little bit of red pepper powder, minced garlic, sesame oil, sesame seeds and some green onions.


IMG_8025
Mix it all around...


IMG_8029
And you're ready to eat! Enjoy~

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기